Sharpening Your Child’s English Skills Through Personalised Tutoring
English is a key, cornerstone subject. When your child’s English skills improve, you will see them perform well in many other subjects as well.
Your child can do well in English
Our Learning Works team is dedicated to helping high school students to excel in English.
Our student-centric approach gives your child their own support team. We offer English tutoring in Geelong with a personalised tutoring plan that will help fill in the gaps, develop skills to articular themselves better, write with purpose and attain their goals.
Comprehensive English Support
Primary school English tutoring in Geelong at Learning Works involves starting by identifying your child’s strengths and weaknesses. The work will be pitched at your child’s level, getting progressively harder as skills improve. We offer English tutoring that follows the school curriculum and covers a wide range of skills across the school years, from learning the alphabet and phonics in Prep to learning to write persuasive texts in grades’ five and six.
Primary school English
Our English primary school program covers reading, comprehension, writing, spelling and grammar
- English tutoring in Geelong from from Prep to Grade 6
- Phonics, early reading, sentence structure, writing styles – including persuasive, information texts and comprehension strategies are taught and refined.
- The program we tailor for your child is age appropriate and tailored to your child’s skill level and gets progressively harder as they improve
- We break down complex skills and strategies into smaller parts so students are taught in in a sequence they can handle and improve on
- Our programs are focused on critical content. We teach skills, strategies, vocabulary terms, concepts and spelling rules that will allow students to tackle English at school head on.
How Learning Works helps English students at school
English requires a range of skills such as spelling, punctuation and grammar as well as the ability to write descriptive paragraphs which conveys a specific point or build a persuasive argument. It is also crucial that students can show that they comprehend what they read.
Developing better writers
We develop our students’ writing skills so they can confidently write about the texts they are studying at school. We focus on comprehension and vocabulary. We teach students the skills to interpret, analyse and join together their ideas. We read the novels students are studying at school so we can prepare work relevant to them in relation to that text.
We focus on developing better writers and teaching the elements of an essay in a structured way. From Year Seven through to VCE, Learning Works can tailor a high school English tutoring program that will focus on key skills relevant to the school curriculum for your child.
Contact us to
- Essay writing
- Text study
- Analysis arguments
- Reading and comparing texts
- Analyse arguments and language analysis
- Persuasive language techniques
- Comprehension skills and strategies
- Vocabulary extension
- Comparative essay writing
Arrange an Assessment
Primary School English
Depending on the needs of your child, the content of a primary school English tutoring program in Geelong at Learning Works could include:
Spelling + Grammar
- Sight words
- Compound words
- Spelling rules
- High-frequency words
- Word families
- Spelling patterns
- Proof reading and editing
Reading & Comprehension
- Recognise vowels
- Literal and implied meaning in texts
- Use comprehension strategies to understand texts
- Skimming, scanning and analysing
- Identifying the main ideas
- Learn to express written ideas for different audiences
- Persuasive writing
- Creative writing
- Information reports
- Essay structures
- TEEL: Topic sentences, explain, expand, examples and linking sentences
- Sentence structure
Contact us to
- Expand vocabulary
- Root words
- Prefixes & Suffixes
- Word origin and use
Arrange an Assessment